The Mortal Kombat reboot is officially getting a sequel, with Moon Knight head writer and executive producer Jeremy Slater tackling the script.
The sequel to the 2020s mortal combat the reboot is finally moving forward.
According to Variety, Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema are currently developing a sequel to the video game adaptation that dropped on HBO Max and in theaters last year. Jeremy Slater, head writer and executive producer of the next Marvel Studios movie moon knight series, will write the script.
mortal combat debuted on April 23, 2021, releasing simultaneously on HBO Max and in theaters as part of Warner Bros.’ strategy. to combat the impact of the pandemic on cinema. The film ended up grossing $42.2 million at the domestic box office and notching a worldwide total of $83.6 million. While concrete streaming numbers haven’t been released, WarnerMedia executive vice president of growth and revenue Brad Wilson said in June that mortal combat had exceeded expectations.
“mortal combat was an interesting title for us,” Wilson said, “because I will say that while we expected him to do well, we didn’t expect him to do as well as he has. do. It’s one of our best assets on the platform.”
While today’s announcement is the first official confirmation that a sequel is in the works, it’s not an unexpected development. The film ended by teasing the arrival of Johnny Cage, one of the main fan-favorite characters absent from the adaptation and at the center of the 90s film of the same name. Much to the disappointment of the public, the reboot also avoided the tournament itself for a series of informal fights. As such, there’s a lot of story potential for a follow-up.
In September, we learned that Warner Bros. hoped to develop several projects centered on mortal combat, which means that more than this sequel could be in the works. With the film a solid performer on HBO Max and in theaters, given the circumstances, it’s possible the next movie will hit the big screen with a TV series eventually landing on the streamer. For now, however, no one at Warner Bros. did comment on plans for the future of the franchise.
Slater began his film career in 2015 with screenplays for both The Lazarus Effect and The Fantastic Four, 20th Century Fox’s infamous reboot of ownership. It looks like Marvel still saw something in the creation, though, as the studio tapped him to direct. moon knight, probably thanks to his writing work on Netflix The Umbrella Academy adaptation.
mortal combat is now streaming on HBO Max.
Keep Reading: The Batman Announces Tickets On-Sale Date
Eternals’ Subtle Betrayal Is Teased In The Opening
About the Author