Home Advocate Provincetown Banner, Lawyer Archives

Provincetown Banner, Lawyer Archives


July 24, 1879

this squall

After the sweltering heat on Wednesday last week, the sky darkened and a heavy gust passed over this section, followed by heavy rain for about an hour. The gust hit around 5 a.m., blowing up clouds of dust, breaking tree branches and generally scattering moving objects. However, there was no serious damage to this place. Captain Lowe’s new yacht, Undine, fared rather badly, coming in contact with a line a ship was moored by, just as the squall struck. Her main gaff was shattered and she suffered other light damage, and after a few hard drops she was safely secured and landed the blow. The Pennsylvanian smack Captain Beatyy lost his lead mast while in the bay.

Even though it was a rising tide by the time the whirlpool hit, it sent the water two feet down to our shore. The thermometer had been high all day and the subsequent cool rains were greeted warmly by the worthy people of Provincetown. Since Wednesday we have had a week of really solid and comfortable weather.

July 28, 1932

Song entertainment at the bookstore

A Yesteryear Song Festival was held at the Provincetown Bookstore at the East End on Friday afternoon from 4 to 6 a.m.

Entertainment was given in honor of Frank Shay, author of “Pious Friends and Drunken Companions”, “More Pious Friends and Drunken Companions” and “Drawn From the Wood”.

More than fifty guests were present to hear the various songs of Mr. Shay, who sang several requests from his famous songbooks.

Barnstable’s Bill Ottarson sang a Parisian song he wrote at the end of the war.

Coulton Waugh sang songs of the sea and, by special request, “The Provincetown Bootleggers Song”. Saul Yalkert performed several Portuguese songs, while Bill Claxton, Anton Van Dereck and Jack Beauchamp sang Western songs.

The accompaniment to the songs was provided by the banjo, accordions, lute and guitar.

Frank Shay was the emcee and introduced each singer. Most of the songs were requested by enthusiastic audience members.

July 26, 1945

Pfc. Frank Perry describes the latest battle in his part of Germany

The prospect of fighting in the South Pacific cut off the sensationalism of four-man Victory Day from Massachusetts with the 134th Infantry Regiment in Germany while two others reported their first thought upon hearing the news was from home.

“The news would have been sensational if we hadn’t had the prospect of the South Pacific,” said Sgt. Harry F. Martell, a Cambridge platoon guide, said.

“The news was not a surprise, due to the radio reports and the continued surrender of German units,” said Private First Class Frank Perry, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Perry Sr., of 63 Franklin Street. , Provincetown, and Leslie Howard of South Boston, agree. “But the South Pacific and the homecoming issue removed most of the sensationalism first.”

Private Perry, a mortar who worked for the Atlantic Coast Fisheries in Provincetown as a machine operator, is a member of Company K who was counterattacked by the Germans after the 134th pushed towards the Elbe north of Magdeburg.

16 captured

“Around five in the morning the guard shook me and yelled, ‘Put your shoes on, the Nazis are coming,’” Perry said. “I ran to my mortar position and we threw the material as fast as we could. We immobilized them in a field in front of us and eventually killed the SS officer leading them and 16 others, captured eight and wounded many more. It was the last real action we had during the war.

Howard said he will never forget Hilfarth’s 13th capture on the West Bank of the Roer.

“The Germans sent a 20-minute barrage of heavy artillery and rockets that just splashed onto the ground,” said the former Cambridge Screw Machine Co. employee. “I was in a trench, and it seemed that the explosions would close the hole above my head. “

Martell, a tool maker for United Carr before joining the military, was part of a group of infantry stranded by machine gun fire near Lutreboid, Belgium.

“The guy in the next foxhole was even more scared than me,” he said. “I don’t know how or why, but I kept smiling at him – and it seemed to help both of us.” But I lost one of my best friends that day.

Private First Class Bradbury W. Patch, a former Lynn Institute for Savings cashier, said his first thought was “how soon will we be in the Pacific” when he heard the news of the armistice.

Patch was one of 10 men who escaped serious injuries when a shell hit the corner of the room they were in during the fighting near the Roer. …

Pfc. John Droz of Ware, and Joseph Pearson of Lowell, agreed that their first thought upon hearing the news from VE was from home.

“The first thing that came to my mind was’ It would be nice to get home quickly,” Droz said. “We told the guy ‘war is hell’ really knows what he’s talking about.”

Source link